Sunday, November 24, 2013

I can't believe I would ever be wheelchair shopping


A few months ago, when walking/standing got to be unbearable/ very limited, I reluctantly (and I mean that...it took me a while through tears to talk to my mom about a wheelchair) went to my (very narrow minded) rheumatologist about how painful it is to walk and stand. It takes me a bit to cry in front of people, doctors included, but she brought me to tears. She turned it around on me and made it seem like I was giving up and that it would make things worse by relying on it? I understand it to a point, but I. Am. Miserable. 
She then brushed me off and shoved me on my way with a RX for vicodin. (I have never taken narcotics before and stressed through tears that I did not want them.) I begged for her help and she denied me of any compassion or assistance. SHE gave up. I did not. I am beginning a new journey and if I'm ever going to make it out alive and healthy, I need to be able to get out of my house and bed. Not for fun. For the necessities. Appointments, grocery shopping, and getting the mail. WOOT!

This won't be permanent for me, I'm determined to that. But sometimes we all need a little help, right? (Even if for some reason it is long-term or permanent, that wouldn't be so bad. I could do more than I can right now, and at least I'd be able to gain some sort of independence!) Anyone seen the Sundance series called Push Girls? I highly recommend it for a glimpse into a wheeled life. It's on Netflix, and has completely changed the way I view wheeled individuals. 

My QUESTION to you is do you use a chair, and/or can you recommend a fairly inexpensive, reliable, comfortable (and possibly cute? I'm in my 20s, and would rather try to get some enjoyment out of life's little obstacles-or I can decorate it.) chair that I can purchase online? I am a frequent Amazonian and have been browsing, but I feel I need to just. do. it. And soon. 

If you were able to read this, I thank you and applaud you. I sincerely hope you can't give me any advice because I hope you aren't in this situation. But I thought I'd ask! 

Take care of yourselves! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment