Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Best Muffins


When it comes to muffins, I tend to think that I can't possibly screw them up! But, I'm going for perfection, here. This is batch #3? Within the last week and by far the best! The others were good, but were just not up to my muffin standards. (I ate them anyway, obviously!)

So, I went back to the muffin board, and got my creative juices flowing...I was hungry, and needed sustenance. And fast! I threw a bunch of stuff in the bowls and into the oven, and this is roughly what I came up with! Anyone care to trial these for me?

FYI:
T=Tablespoon
t=teaspoon 
*Table is bigger than tea ;)

Preheat oven to 350°F, make sure your rack is in the middle of the oven- it's easier to move when cool.

In 1 medium-large mixing bowl, combine and mash with fork: (no mixers/blenders, etc are used in the making of muffins!)

2 bananas frozen/thawed mushed
2 cups? Cooked Pumpkin (Thawed)- I have a bunch already cut and cooked in the freezer from my Halloween pumpkin massacre.
**4oz? Unsweetened, all natural Applesauce (1 tiny tub)
**2t Chia gel (I usually have a jar in the fridge of pre-soaked chias gelling for future culinary use)
1/2t Vanilla extract (I've tried it without, but it's better with.)
**1 1/2T Vinegar (*big T!) (add to bowl last)

In 2nd medium sized bowl, combine:

1 3/4c all purpose Gluten Free baking flour. (I used Bob's Red Mill-and boy, I didn't realize how pricey this stuff was! I used to bake a lot, gluten-style. But GF baking is semi-new to me.)
1/4 - 1/2c Brown sugar (Can absolutely sub for your fav sugar/sweetener. I've been meaning to buy maple, but I just don't know which kind to buy, and I don't bake or use sweeteners (sugar) very often.)
1T Raw sugar -Turbinado (Same as above, your preference- it's what I had on hand.)
1T Baking Soda
1t Baking Powder
1/8t Salt
2t Cinnamon

Dump dry ingredients into wet ingredient bowl, and lightly combine with fork just until moist. Too much stirring can cause TMF. (Total Muffin Failure.)

Fork into muffin pans, (batter should be forkably thick- do not want runny muffins!) I don't use paper muffin liners‎, because they seem to come out of the pan just fine without. GO GREEN!

Makes 18 small/med sized muffins.

Bake at 350°F on middle preheated oven rack for 15-20 min until browned on top. Middle may still be a bit moist-That's OK because we didn't use any eggs! 
Best when cooled! You may not think they're cooked all the way, but once they're cooled, they are! 

**Secret ingredients. These are pretty much necessary to substitute for the Almighty Egg. They're a secret because people will not believe ‎they're inside! You can't even taste them. =D But, you'll know, and you can giggle when your friends/relatives exclaim with delight how fantastic these VEGAN GLUTEN FREE BANANA PUMPKIN SPICE MUFFINS are!


P.S. The stumps are just as delicious as the muffin tops

No comments:

Post a Comment